RSS

Notebook market analysis

The market is very healthy, the SMB market in particular. It doesn’t focus on any particular area as well, we have products in our ultra-portable range that go into SMBs as well as our more affordable entry level machines. So it really is across our full range that we see the SMB market being very active at the moment.

I think just because people are starting to take more notice of it really. It’s always been there it’s just such a large segment of the market companies are just starting to realise that and are starting to target it a lot more really. We’re certainly through our channel business focusing on the SMB market and trying to get in contact with as many of them as possible to do more business, this is a great opportunity for us.

What we find is that people who are more budget conscious are looking more for desktops , because that has got really price sensitive. Whereas customers who have got more to spend, they would look at mobiles and they would pay a premium for that.

We are selling all segments of our range into the SME market but what we do find is that our entry level and our mid range models, there’s a good mix of those that go into the market.

It’s estimated that just 20 per cent of the total cost of ownership is the upfront price of the machine, the other 80 per cent is for support, upgrades, maintenance, services and so on. Some of that is more prevalent in the SMB market because they might not have in house technical support teams or whatever it might be.

What we’re seeing is the shift in wireless connectivity is obviously going to be massive, but coupled with that is the security issues and how to alleviate those because what we’re finding is that as people become more and more mobile and connect wirelessly there’s a big risk element in that perceived by companies anyway.

As we become more wireless and more hotspots do pop up people are taking their sensitive data out and about with them now and basically people are worried about how secure that is.

In the SMB market we’ve noticed a shift in the default screen sizes over the last 12-18 months. It’s always been 14 inch, what we’ve noticed in the SMB market is a shift towards 15 inch. What we find in some of our larger customers who already have 14 inch screens, they want to continue with those because it’s a safer environment for them to continue on. But in SMB where we have new customers or people who aren’t too worried about having a similar image that they have to roll out across multiple users, we’re seeing a trend towards 15 inch.

Make sure that they’re future proofing, so that a year or two years down the road they can upgrade and add more features to it. It’s got to be of good enough quality and specification for them to be able to continue to use that.

Related Posts:

  • No Related Posts